Moreton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.

Alternative names:

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1558
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1639; 1800

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

MORETON, a village and a parish in Ongar district, Essex. The village stands on an affluent of the river Roding, 3 miles N by W of Ongar r. station, and 5¾ NE of Epping; and has a post-office under Ongar. The parish comprises 1,421 a.res. Real property, £2,549. P op., 497. Houses, 104. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £375. Patron, St. John s College, Cambridge. The church is a plain building, with brick tower and shingled spire. There are an Independent chapel, an endowed national school, with £35 a year, and charities £20.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

Directories

Poll Books

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Ongar
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Ongar
  • Poor Law Union: Ongar
  • Hundred: Ongar
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts