Middleton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.

Alternative names:

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1700
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1639; 1800

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

MIDDLETON, a parish in the district of Sudbury and county of Essex; on the river Stour at the boundary with Suffolk, 1 mile S of Sudbury r. station. Post town, Sudbury. Acres, 875. Real property, £1,839. Pop., 138. Houses, 31. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £557. Patron, the Rev. O. Raymond. The church is partly Norman, with a wooden spire; was recently restored; and has fine stained glass windows, and an altar-piece by Schiavone.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

Directories

Poll Books

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Sudbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Hedingham
  • Poor Law Union: Sudbury
  • Hundred: Hinckford
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts