Messing is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Other places in the parish include: Tiptree.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629
- Parish registers: 1666
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
- Tolleshunt Knights
- Layer Marney
- Great Wigborough
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MESSlNG, a village and a parish in Witham district, Essex. The village stands 2 miles E of Blackwater river, 2¾ ENE of Kelvedon r. station, and 3¾ SE of Coggeshall; is supposed to have got its name from Saxon words, signifying “the field of trampling,’’ in allusion to a battle between Queen Boadicea and the Romans; and has a post office under Kelvedon, and a fair on the first Tuesday of July. The parish comprises 2,549 acres. Real property, £4,217. Pop., 813. Houses, 164. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged formerly to the Luckyns, and belongs now to the Earl of Verulam. An ancient camp was on Harborough Hall Farm; and Roman pottery has been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £370. Patron, the Earl of Verulam. The church is an ancient edifice, founded by Sir William de Messing; has been modernized and considerably enlarged; includes two new transepts, and a red brick and compo tower; and contains oak-panelling of the time of James I., a finely carved font, a piscina, and two brasses. There are a national school, and charities £4.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Archer William, Messing, Essex, grocer, Feb. 24, 1835.
Snelling John, Messing, Essex, grocer, Jan. 9, 1838.
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Witham
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester
- Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 - Lexden, Post-1846 - Coggeshall
- Poor Law Union: Witham
- Hundred: Lexden
- Province: Canterbury