Margaretting is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.

Alternative names:

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1627
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

MARGARETTING, a village and a parish in Chelmsford district, Essex. The village stands on the river Wid, adjacent to the Eastern Counties railway, 2 miles NE of Ingatestone, and 5 SW by S of Chelmsford; and has a post-office under Ingatestone. The parish comprises 2,259 acres. Real property, £3,708. Pop., 483. Houses, 110. The property is much subdivided. Peacocks is the seat of G. Straight, Esq. Killigrews was a moated seat, visited by Henry VIII.; and became a farmhouse. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £191. Patron, the Rev. M. Barnard. The church stands near Ingatestone; and consists of nave and aisles, with wooden belfry. There are a charity school, and charities £9.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

Directories

Poll Books

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Chelmsford
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – Chelmsford, Post-1844 – Ingatestone
  • Poor Law Union: Chelmsford
  • Hundred: Chelmsford
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts