Manuden is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.

Alternative names: Manewden

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1561
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629; 1800

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

MANEWDEN, or MANUIDEN, a village and a parish in the district of Bishop-Stortford and county of Essex. The village stands on the river Sort, 2 miles E of the boundary with Herts, 3 W by N of Elsenham r. station, and 4 N of Bishop-Stortford; and has a post-office under Bishop-Stortford, and a fair on Easter Monday. The parish comprises 2,486 acres. Real property, £4,092Pop., 740. Houses, 153. The manor belongs to R. Gosling, Esq. Manewden House stands in the centre of the village, and is the seat of J. Thomas, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £215. Patron, the Rec. St. John W. Thorpe. The church consists of nave, S aisle, N transept, and chancel, with tower and spire; and, excepting the transept, wav all recently restored. There are an Independent chapel, a village school, and charities £49.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

Directories

Poll Books

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Bishops Stortford
  • Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Newport
  • Poor Law Union: Bishop’s Stortford
  • Hundred: Clavering (Essex)
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts