Maldon, Essex Family History Guide

High Street Maldon Essex
High Street Maldon Essex

Maldon comprises the parishes of:

  • Maldon All Saints with St Peter, Essex
  • Maldon St Mary, Essex

Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Particular Baptist, and Society of Friends/Quaker.

Maldon All Saints with St Peter, Essex

Image description

Maldon All Saints with St Peter is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Essex.

Other places in the parish include: Beeleigh and Spital.

Alternative names: St Peter in Maldon

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

Maldon All Saints with St Peter

  • Parish registers: 1558
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1630; 1639; 1880

Maldon St Peter

  • Parish registers: 1558
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: None

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational

Adjacent Parishes

  • Langford
  • Hazeleigh
  • Maldon St Mary
  • Woodham Mortimer
  • Woodham Walter
  • Heybridge

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Maldon
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - Dengie, Post-1844 - Maldon
  • Poor Law Union: Maldon
  • Hundred: Maldon Borough
  • Province: Canterbury

Maldon St Mary, Essex

Image description

Maldon St Mary is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.

Alternative names: St Mary-in-Maldon

Parish church: St Mary

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1558
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1813

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Adjacent Parishes

  • Goldhanger
  • Hazeleigh
  • Purleigh
  • Little Totham
  • Maldon All Saints with St Peter
  • Heybridge
  • Mundon

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Maldon
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
  • Diocese: Pre-1830 - None, Post-1829 - Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Pre-1830 - None, Post-1829 - Maldon
  • Poor Law Union: Maldon
  • Hundred: Maldon Borough
  • Province: Canterbury

Parish History

Maldon

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

MALDON, a town, three parishes, two sub-districts, and a district in Essex. The town stands at the influx of the river Chelmer to the Blackwater estuary, and at the terminus of a branch of the Great Eastern railway, 10 miles E by S of Chelmsford. It was anciently called Idumania; and it was thought by Camden and Horsley, but on very insufficient evidence, to have been the Camalodunum of the Romans. Two Roman coins, the one of Vespasian, the other of Nero and Agrippina, were found at it; but no other Roman relics of any consequence have been discovered. An ancient oblong entrenchment, enclosing about 24 acres, and still partly traceable, was on its W side; and is alleged to have been occupied by successively the Romans, the Saxons, and the Danes; but cannot be fairly regarded as of earlier date than the early part of the 10th century. Edward the Elder took post here in 913, to impede the progress of the Danes, while a fortification was in course of construction at Witham; and he, most probably, was the originator of the ancient eNtrenchment. He again took post here in 920; he is said by Marianus, to have then fortified the town; and he sustained and resisted a siege here, in the following year by the Danes. The Danes, under Unlaff, again attacked the town in 993, and captured it. A mall Carmelite priory was founded here about 1291 by Richard de Gravesande, bishop of London; and continued till the dissolution. A lepers’ hospital was founded, at some unrecorded period, by one of the kings of England; and was annexed in 1410, to Beeleigh abbey, 1 mile to the W, noticed in our article BEELEIGH. Archdeacon Plume, the founder of the Plumean professorship of astronomy at Cambridge, was a native. A man called Bright, notable for great weight and rotundity, weighing 44 stones, and measuring nearly 9 feet round the stomach, died here at 29 years of age. The Earl of Essex takes from Maldon the title of Viscount.

The town is charmingly situated on a hill, rising abruptly from the river; commands an extensive prospect over the marshy grounds towards the sea; comprises several good streets, with excellent shops and dwellings; and includes portions called the Hythe, Fullbridge, and the Wants. The town hall is a lofty brick structure, of the time of Henry VI.; and is sometimes called Darcy tower, from Robert Darcy, Henry V.’s escheator for Essex, who married a rich widow of Maldon. The public hall, in High-street, near the town hall, was built in 1860; is in the Italian style, of yellow brick, with stone dressings; contains an apartment used as a corn-exchange, and let for concerts, lectures, and public meetings; and contains also a literary and mechanics’ institute, with public library. The county court, in the London-road, is a recent and handsome edifice. The railway station is a structure of stone and of red and white brick, in the Tudor style; and presents a picturesque appearance, as seen from the higher parts of the town. The borough gail has capacity for 6 male and 4 female prisoners. The workhouse, in Fullbridge, within St. Peter’s parish, is a large substantial structure of brick and cement; and, at the census of 1861, had 228 inmates. There are assembly and billiard rooms, a museum, and salt, fresh, warm, and cold baths. All Saints church is mainly elderly English, partly decorated English; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel; has a W triangular tower, with hexagona spire, of singular appearance; was partly restored in 1800, and repaired in 1866; and contains sedilia, a double piscina, a fine old Purbeck marble font, monuments of the Darcys, and several incised stones which formerly had brasses. St. Peter’s church, excepting the tower, fell into ruin about 1665; and is now represented by the massive embattled tower, with NW octagonal turret, and by a brick building of 1704, containing a library of about 6,000 volumes. St. Mary’s church was originally built, about 1056, by Ingelric, a Saxon nobleman; was restored in 1628; and contains a font of the 12th century. The Independent, Quaker, and Wesleyan chapels are ornamental. The grammar school was founded in 1608, by Ralph Breeder; clothes and educates ten boys gratis; and has aIn endowed income of £60. There are a national school and a British school. The endowed charities amount to £384 a year.

The town has a head post office, a railway station with telegraph, two banking offices, and three chief inns; and is a seat of petty sessions and county courts, and a polling-place. A weekly market is held on Tuesday; fairs are held on the first Thursday of May, and 13 Sept.; and industry is carried on in flour mills, malting establishments, rope-walks, boat-building yards, steam saw-mills, timber yards, a cooperage, an agricultural implement andmachine manufactory, an iron foundry, soap-works, sail lofts, a silk mill, a brewery, salt-works, a brick and tile yard, lime-kilns, a new nut-making factory, and an extensive fishery. The nut-making factory is at Heybridge; was erected in 1865; and has a chimney 116 feet high, visible for miles all round. Much commerce is carried on in corn, hay, straw, coals, lime, chalk, oilcake, manures, and timber. Small vessels come up to the bridge; and larger ones ascend by a canal, 2½ miles Long, past Heybridge, to Colliers’ Reach quay. The town is a head-port; and has Burnham, Bradwell, Leigh, and Rochford, for sub-ports. The vessels belonging to it, at the commencement of 1864, were 99 small sailing-vessels, of aggregately 3,225 tons, and 55 large sailing-vessels, of aggregately 6,135 tons. The vessels which entered in 1863 were 1 British sailing-vessel, of 33 tons, from British colonies; 41 British sailing-vessels, of aggregately 1,563 tons, from foreign countries; 9 foreign sailing-vessels, of aggregately 1,237 tons, from foreign countries; and 1,099 sailing-vessels, of aggregately 70,272 tons, coastwise. The vessels which cleared in 1863 were 35 British sailingvessels, of aggregately 1,095 tons, to foreign countries; 5 foreign sailing-vessels, of aggregately 813 tons, to foreign countries; and 950 sailing-vessels, of aggregately 1,410 tons, coastwise. The amount of customs in 1867 was £680. The town sent two members to parliament from the time of Edward III. till 1867, but now sends only one: and, under the new act, is governed by a mayor, 4 aldermen, and 12 councillors. Corporation income in 1855, £1,094. Amount of property and income tax charged in 1863, £1,281. Electors in 1833, 716; in 1868, 904. The municipal borough consists of the three Maldon parishes, and the parliamentary borough includes also Heybridge parish. Pop. of the m. borough in 1851, 4,558; in 1861, 4,785. Houses, 1,014. Pop. of the p. borough in 1851, 5,888; in 1861, 6,261. Houses, 1,329. The three parishes are All Saints, St. Peter, and St. Mary. Acres of All Saints, 55. Real property, £4,239. Pop., 957. Houses, 212. Acres of St. Peter, 1,626. Real property, £10,345; of which £16 are in gas-works. Pop., 2,550. Houses, 501. Acres of St. Mary, 1,827; of which 480 are water. Real property, £4,560; of which £200 are in gas-works. Pop., 1,278. Houses, 301. The livings of All Saints and St. Peter are vicarages, and that of St. Mary is a rectory, in the diocese of Rochester; and those of All Saints and St. Peter are united. Value of A. S. and St. P., £319; of St. M., £165. Patron of the former, the Rev. E. R. Harwood; of the latter, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Beeleigh

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BEELEIGH, a hamlet in the parish of St. Peter-in-Maldon, Essex; 1 mile W of Maldon. A Premonstratensian Abbey was founded here, in 1180, by Robert de Mantell; and given, at the dissolution, to Sir John Gate. Bourchier, Earl of Essex, and his wife were buried in the church; and this, measuring 36 feet by 18, and having groined arches, still stands, and is used as a farm-office.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Bankrupts

Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.

Brown George, Maldon, Essex, merchant, Aug. 11, 1829.

Bulley Richard, sen., Maldon, Essex, tailor and draper, May 21, 1830.

Dove Thomas, Malden, Essex, linen draper, Feb. 10, 1821.

Hearn George, Maldon, Essex, plumber and glazier, Feb. 15, 1833.

Johnson Osmond, Maldon, and Gt. Braxted, Essex, corn dealer, June 7, 1842.

Knight Abraham, Maldon, Essex, tailor, Dec. 20, 1825.

Sharp David, Maldon, Essex, cattle dealer, Aug. 5, 1831.

Parish Records

FamilySearch Catalog

The following records are available free online.

Census

Census returns for Maldon, 1841-1891

Church Records

Births and baptisms, 1776-1837; burials, 1809-1837 Author: St. Peter’s Chapel (Maldon, Essex : Independent)

Bishop’s transcripts for All Saints Church, Malden, 1630-1640 Author: Church of England. All Saints Church (Maldon, Essex)

Bishop’s transcripts for All Saints with St. Peter’s Church, Maldon, 1800-1877 Author: Church of England. All Saints with St. Peter’s Church (Maldon, Essex)

Bishop’s transcripts for St. Mary’s Church, Maldon, 1813-1876 Author: Church of England. St. Mary’s Church (Maldon, Essex)

Bishop’s transcripts for St. Peter’s Church, Maldon, 1629-1640 Author: Church of England. St. Peter’s Church (Maldon, Essex)

Parish register printouts of Maldon, Essex, England (Independent, Saint Peter’s) ; christenings, 1776-1790, 1799-1837 Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

Church history

A quest for Zion, 1851-1987 Author: Petchey, Stephen; March, Bernard

Court records

Borough records, 1614-1810 Author: Maldon (Essex : Borough)

Court and miscellaneous records, 1401-1833 Author: Maldon (Essex : Borough)

Court books and books of enrollment in courts, 1384-1886 Author: Maldon (Essex : Borough)

Maldon Civil Courts, 1402

Occupations

Admissions of free burgess, 1810-1903 Author: Maldon (Essex : Borough)

Burgess rolls, registers of electors, 1810-1903 Author: Maldon (Essex : Borough)

Court and miscellaneous records, 1401-1833 Author: Maldon (Essex : Borough)

List of burgesses, 1661-1688 Author: Maldon (Essex : Borough)

Public records

Borough accounts and other town accounts, 1836-1912 Author: Maldon (Essex : Borough)

Borough committees’ minute books and accounts, 1800-1908 Author: Maldon (Essex : Borough)

Council minute books, 1835-1901 Author: Maldon (Essex : Borough)

Various town books, 1826-1900 Author: Maldon (Essex : Borough)

Schools

Maldon National School admissions, 1817-1877 Author: Maldon National School (Maldon, Essex)

Taxation

Court and miscellaneous records, 1401-1833 Author: Maldon (Essex : Borough)

Voting registers

Admissions of free burgess, 1810-1903 Author: Maldon (Essex : Borough)

Borough records, 1614-1810 Author: Maldon (Essex : Borough)

Burgess rolls, registers of electors, 1810-1903 Author: Maldon (Essex : Borough)

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps