Little Tey is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.

Alternative names:

Parish church: St. James

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1660
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1800

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

TEY (Little), a parish in Lexden district, Essex; 2 miles W by S of Marks-Tey Junction, and 2¾ E by N of Coggeshall. Post town, Kelvedon. Acres, 486. Real property, £1,028. Pop., 63. Houses, 13. The property is subdivided The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £122. Patron, the Bishop of R. The church is tolerable.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

TEY, LITTLE (St. James), a parish, in the union of Lexden and Winstree, Witham division of the hundred of Lexden, N. division of Essex, 2¾ miles (E. by N.) from Great Coggeshall; containing 59 inhabitants. This parish is one of the smallest in the county, comprising only 448 acres; the soil, though heavy, is fertile. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king’s books at £4, and in the gift of the Bishop of London: the tithes have been commuted for £146, and the glebe comprises 20 acres. The church is a small edifice, with the belfry-turret of wood.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Parish Records

Directories

Poll Books

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Lexden
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 – Lexden, Post-1846 – Halstead
  • Poor Law Union: Lexden and Winstree
  • Hundred: Lexden
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts