Little Hallingbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.

Alternative names:

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1690
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

HALLINGBURY (LITTLE), a village and a parish in the district of Bishop Stortford and county of Essex. The village stands near the river Stort, the Great Eastern railway, and the boundary with Herts, 3 miles SSE of Bishop Stortford; and has a post-office under Bishop-Stortford. The parish comprises 1, 612 acres. Pop., 514. Houses, 117. The property is divided among a few. The manor was known at Domesday as Hallingbury Brunker, or Bonrchier; and belonged to Bonrchier, Earl of Essex. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value. £470. Patron, the Charterhouse, London. The church comprises nave, north aisle, and chancel, with a tower; and is very good. There is a national school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

HALLINGBURY, LITTLE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Bishop-Stortford, hundred of Harlow, S. division of Essex, 3 miles (N. N. E.) from Bishop-Stortford; containing 497 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1612 acres, of which 34 are waste land or common; it is bounded on the south by Great Hallingbury. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £15, and in the gift of the Charter-House, London: the tithes have been commuted for £465, and the glebe comprises 26 acres. The church, a small plain edifice with a square embattled tower surmounted by a shingled spire, consists of a nave and chancel; a gallery has been erected, with 50 sittings.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Parish Records

Directories

Poll Books

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Bishops Stortford
  • Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Harlow
  • Poor Law Union: Bishop’s Stortford
  • Hundred: Harlow
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts