The Street, Lexden, Colchester, Essex 1933.

Lexden is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.

Alternative names:

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1560
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1800

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Roman Catholic, and Society of Friends/Quaker.

Table of Contents

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

LEXDEN, a village and a parish in Colchester district, and within Colchester borough, Essex. The village stands on the river Colne, near the Eastern Counties railway, 1 mile W of Colchester; dates from at least the time of the Confessor; and has a post-office, under Colchester. The parish comprises 2,440 acres. Real property, £9,799. Pop., 1,543. Houses, 337. Lexden Lodge was formerly the seat of the Lords Fitzwalters, and is surrounded by a moat. Lexden Park has some fine trees and a pleasant lakelet. There are several good residences, with pleasure-grounds. Some ancient entrenchments are on Lexden Heath. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £566. Patron, Mrs. E. Papillon. The church was repaired in 1821. There is a national school, with £20 a year from endowment.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

Directories

Poll Books

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Colchester
  • Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Colchester
  • Poor Law Union: Colchester
  • Hundred: Colchester Borough
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts