Layer de la Haye is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.

Other places in the parish include: Layer Cross.

Alternative names: Layer-de-la-Hay

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1755
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1715

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

LAYER-DE-LA-HAY, a village and a parish in Lexden district, Essex. The village stands 1 mile S of the river Roman, and 5 SSW of Colchester r. station; and has a post-office under Colchester. The parish contains also the hamlet of Layer-Cross, and comprises 2, 577 acres. Real property, £4, 137. Pop., 807. Houses, 162. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £80. Patron, T. White, Esq. The church is good, and has a tower. There are an Independent chapel and a national school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

Directories

Poll Books

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Lexden
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 – Lexden, Post-1846 – Mersea
  • Poor Law Union: Lexden and Winstree
  • Hundred: Winstree
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts