Lawford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.

Alternative names:

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1558
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1800

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

LAWFORD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Tendring, N. division of Essex, 1½ mile (W.) from Manningtree; containing 868 inhabitants, and consisting of 2769a. 1r. 4p. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £15, and in the gift of St. John’s College, Cambridge: the tithes have been commuted for £720, and the glebe comprises 35 acres. The church, situated on elevated ground commanding an extensive prospect, is an ancient edifice with a tower of stone, and consists of a nave and chancel, the interior walls of which are elaborately ornamented with sculpture. In 1723, John Leach bequeathed a rentcharge of £22. 4., for teaching children, and clothing poor persons.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Parish Records

Directories

Poll Books

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Tendring
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 – Tendring, Post-1846 – Ardleigh
  • Poor Law Union: Tendring
  • Hundred: Tendring
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts