Essex - Latchingdon

Latchingdon with Snoreham is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Essex, created in mid-1700s from Latchingdon Ancient Parish and Snoreham Ancient Parish.

Other places in the parish include: Shoreham and Snoreham.

Alternative names: Latchingdon, Latchingdon cum Lawling

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1725
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1779

Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Wesleyan Methodist.

Table of Contents

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

LATCHINGDON, a village and a parish in Maldon district, Essex. The village stands 1 mile N of the river Crouch, and 6 SSE of Maldon r. station; and has a post-office under Maldon, and a fair on 2 June. The parish comprises 3,672 acres. Real property, £4,975. Pop., 430. Houses, 81. The manor belongs to C. Pulley, Esq. The parish includes the quondam chapelry of Lalling; and it is one with Snoreham for the relief of the poor. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £710. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The present church was built in 1857; and is in the decorated English style. The old church still stands. There are a national school, and charities for church poor £13.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

Directories

Poll Books

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Maldon
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
  • Diocese: Post-1844 – Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – Bocking, Post 1844 – Dengie
  • Poor Law Union: Maldon
  • Hundred: Dengie
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts