Langham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1638
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1639
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Primitive Methodist.
- Stoke by Nayland, Suffolk
- Higham St Mary, Suffolk
- Stratford St Mary, Suffolk
- Myland St Michael
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LANGHAM, a village and a parish in Lexden district, Essex. The village stands near the river Stour, at the boundary with Suffolk, 3 miles NW by N of Ardleigh r. station, and 7 NNE of Colchester; is an ancient place; and has a post-office under Colchester. The parish comprises 2,896 acres. Real property, £4,984. Pop., 862. Houses, 185. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Duchy of Lancaster. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £640. Patron, the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster. The church is ancient, has a tower, and was recently in disrepair. There are a Baptist chapel, and a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Blyth John, Langham, Essex, miller, May 27, 1836.
The following records are available free online.
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Lexden
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester
- Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 – Lexden, Post-1846 – Dedham
- Poor Law Union: Lexden and Winstree
- Hundred: Lexden
- Province: Canterbury