Langenhoe is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.

Other places in the parish include: Pewett Island.

Alternative names:

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1660
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1800

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

LANGENHOE, a parish in Lexden district, Essex; near the river Colne, 3¾ miles SSW of Wivenhoe r. station, and 5¾ S by E of Colchester. Post-town, Abberton, under Colchester. Acres, 2,104. Real property, £2,252. Pop., 169. Houses, 33. The property is divided among a few. Much of the land is marsh. The limits include Pewett island, in the creek between Mersea island and the mainland. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £446. Patron, the Countess of Waldegrave. The church has a tower, and is good.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

Directories

Poll Books

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Lexden
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 – Lexden, Post-1846 – Mersea
  • Poor Law Union: Lexden and Winstree
  • Hundred: Winstree
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts