Laindon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex. Basildon is a chapelry of Laindon.

Other places in the parish include: Langdon Clay.

Alternative names: Langdon

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1653
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1639; 1800

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

LAINDON, a village and a parish in Billericay district, Essex. The village stands near the source of the river Crouch, 3½ miles NW of Pitsea r. station, and 3½ S by E of Billericay; and has a post-office under Ingatestone. The parish includes Basildon chapelry; and, in the part around Laindon village, is sometimes called Langdon-Clay. Acres of that part, 2,372; of the whole, 3,999. Real property of Langdon-Clay, £3,337; of the whole, £5,264. Pop. of L.-C., 406; of the whole, 586. Houses of L.-C., 81; of the whole, 106. The property is divided among a few. A moated house is near Basildon church. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelry of Basildon, in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £779. Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The parish church stands on a rising ground, and consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with tower and spire. The church of Basildon also stands on a rising ground, and has a tower. There are a free school with £20 a-year, and other charities £34.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

Directories

Poll Books

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Billericay
  • Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Barstable
  • Poor Law Union: Billericay
  • Hundred: Barstable
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts