Kelvedon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1639; 1800
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Society of Friends/Quaker.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KELVEDON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Witham district, Essex. The village stands partly on a rising ground, on the right bank of the river Blackwater, adjacent to the Eastern Counties railway, 3½ miles NE of Witham; is an ancient place; consists chiefly of one street, about a mile in length; is connected by a bridge with Gore-Pits in Feering parish; and has a head post office, a railway station with telegraph, and a fair on Easter Monday. The parish comprises 3,167 acres. Real property, £7,080. Pop. in 1851, 1,633; in 1861, 1,741. Houses, 350. The manor belonged anciently to Edward the Confessor; and is now divided into two manors, belonging to the Bishop of London and to T. B. Western, Esq. Felix Hall, the seat of Mr. Western, is a modern edifice, in a fine park; and commands a charming view over the valley of the Blackwater. The massacre of the Danes began in Kelvedon; and a silver ring, with Danish initials, has been found. William III. was here in 1691, again in 1692, and slept at an inn in the village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £500. Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church has early English pillars and arches, and a later English nave-roof; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and has been considerably improved. There are chapels for Independents and Quakers, a British school, an endowed national school, with £55 a year, and charities £12. The sub-district contains also five other parishes. Acres, 14,053. Pop., 4,423. Houses, 927.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The following records are available free online.
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Witham
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester
- Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Witham
- Poor Law Union: Witham
- Hundred: Witham
- Province: Canterbury