Kedington is an Ancient Parish partly in Essex and partly in Suffolk.
Other places in the parish include: Great Wilseys and Brockley Green.
Alternative names: Ketton
Parish church: St. Peter and St. Paul
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1654
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1564
Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist
- Wixoe, Suffolk
- Great Wratting with Little Wratting, Suffolk
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KEDINGTON, or KETTON, a village and a parish in Risbridge district; the village and most of the parish in Suffolk, but part of the latter in Essex. The village stands on the river Stour, 2½ miles ENE of Haverhill r. station; and has a post office under Newmarket. The parish contains also Brockley-Green, Great Wilseys, and the Risbridge workhouse. Acres, 2, 342. Real property of the Essex portion, £1,317; of the Suffolk portion, £3,638. Pop. of the E portion in 1851, 104; in 1861, 115. Houses, 26. Pop. of the S portion in 1851, 668; in 1861, 881. Houses, 134. The increase of pop., in the latter, arose partly from the erection of the workhouse. The property is divided among a few; and a chief portion of it belongs to H. Purkis, Esq. The manor was known, at Domesday, as Keditune; belonged to the Baynards; and passed to the Earls of Clare and the Barnardistons. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £701. Patron, the Rev. W. H. Syer. The church is neat and good, and contains many ancient and handsome monuments. A school has £7 from endowment, and other charities £32.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
KEDINGTON, or Ketton (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Risbridge, partly in the hundred of Hinckford, N. division of Essex, but chiefly in that of Risbridge, W. division of Suffolk, 3 miles (N. E. by E.) from Haverhill; containing 710 inhabitants, of whom 628 are in Suffolk. This place was for many generations the residence of the Barnardiston family, whose ancient seat, Kedington Hall, has been taken down. The parish comprises 2342a. 1r. 12p.; the surface is gently undulated, and in some parts hilly: the village is pleasantly situated in a valley through which flows the river Stour. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £16. 8. 6½.; net income, £498; patron and incumbent, the Rev. Barrington Syer. The church contains several monuments of the Barnardistons. Archbishop Tillotson was for some time rector.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Risbridge
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Sudbury
- Diocese: Post-1836 - Ely, Pre-1837 - Norwich
- Rural Deanery: Clare
- Poor Law Union: Risbridge
- Hundred: Hinckford
- Province: Canterbury