Ingatestone is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Parish church: Virgin Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1800
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Moravian/United Brethren, and Roman Catholic.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
INGATESTONE, a small town, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Chelmsford district, Essex. The town stands on the Eastern Counties railway, 5 miles NE of Brentwood; is but partly in Ingatestone parish, more largely in Fryerning parish; took its name from the words "ing," "atte," "stone," signifying "the meadow at the mile stone," is supposed to be on a Roman road, at a spot where a mile stone stood; was, at one time, a place of much importance, with a considerable market; consists now chiefly of one street; and has a railway station, a head post office, a good inn, gas works, a church, an independent chapel, alms houses, and a cattle fair on 1 and 2 Dec. The church has a lofty brick tower, and contains monuments of the Petre family. The almshouses were founded in 1157, for 12 poor Roman Catholics, by Sir William Petre, Bart.; and rebuilt in 1840, by Lord Petre. The parish comprises 2,678 acres. Real property, £5,023. Pop., 882. Houses, 200. The property is divided among a few. Ingatestone Hall is a very ancient irregular edifice; was formerly a seat of the Petre family; is now occupied by several Roman Catholic families; and has attached to it a Roman Catholic chapel. The Hyde is the seat of the Disneys. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Buttsbury, in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £561. Patron, Lord Petre. The sub-district contains eleven parishes. Acres, 27,534. Pop., 6,573. Houses, 1,405.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
INGATESTONE (Virgin Mary), a parish, and formerly a market-town, in the union and hundred of Chelmsford, S. division of Essex, 6 miles (S. W.) from Chelmsford, and 23 (N. E. by E.) from London; containing 856 inhabitants. This place was anciently called Ing-atte-stone, a name derived from the Saxon word Ing, a "meadow," and a Roman military stone on the road to Colchester. The parish comprises 2678 acres, of which 226 are woods and plantations, 104 common and waste, and the remainder arable and pasture; the lands are chiefly luxuriant, meadow and pasture. Ingatestone Hall, the mansion-house of the principal manor, a quadrangular structure erected by Sir W. Petre, ancestor of the present Lord Petre, in 1565, has been partly taken down, and the remainder converted into private dwellings. The town, which extends into the adjoining parish of Fryerning, is lighted with oil; and has a station of the Eastern Counties railway. There is a large fair for Scotch and Welsh cattle on December 1st and 2nd. The living is a rectory, with the perpetual curacy of Buttsbury annexed, valued in the king's books at £16. 13. 4., and in the gift of Lord Petre: the tithes have been commuted for £560, and the glebe contains one acre, with a house. The church has a lofty embattled tower of brick at the west end: adjoining the chancel is a sepulchral chapel belonging to the Petre family, which contains several handsome monuments, especially a fine altar-tomb to the memory of Sir William Petre, treasurer to Edward IV., and his lady, with their statues in Parian marble; also a sumptuous monument to John, the first Lord Petre, with his lady. There is a place of worship for Independents. An almshouse for seven men and three women was founded and endowed by Sir William Petre, in 1557.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Civil Registration District: Chelmsford
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - Chelmsford, Post-1844 - Ingatestone
Poor Law Union: Chelmsford