HIGH STREET (N), HORNDON-ON-THE-HILL, ESSEX

Horndon on the Hill is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.

Alternative names:

Parish church: St. Peter

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1622
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1801

Nonconformists include: Baptist

Table of Contents

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

HORNDON-ON-THE-HILL, a village and a parish in Orsett district, Essex. The village stands on a hill, 1¼ mile NW of Stanford-le-Hope r. station, and 2 ENE of Orsett; has a fine prospect along the Thames to London and to the sea; is an ancient place; was formerly a market town; and has now a post office, under Romford, London E, and a fair on 29 June. The parish comprises 2, 634 acres. Real property, £3, 734. Pop., 522. Houses, 101. The property is much subdivided. A farm bears the name of Saffron Gardens, from the former cultivation of saffron. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £210. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St. Pauls. The church has a wooden tower, and is good. There are a national school, an alms house, and charities £10.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

HORNDON-ON-THE-HILL (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Orsett, hundred of Barstable, S. division of Essex, 12 miles (E. S. E.) from Romford; containing 576 inhabitants. The parish takes its affix from its situation on a hill, commanding an extensive and richly-diversified prospect; it comprises, partly by admeasurement and partly by computation, 2634a. 3r. 1p., of which about 2005 acres are arable, 506 meadow and pasture, and 36 woodland. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £14. 6. 8.; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul’s, London. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for £390, and the vicarial for £180; a rent-charge also of £248 is paid to certain impropriators. The church, pleasantly situated near the centre of the village, is an ancient edifice, with a tower of stone surmounted by a spire of wood.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Parish Records

Directories

Poll Books

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Orsett
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – Barstable, Post-1844 – Orsett
  • Poor Law Union: Orsett
  • Hundred: Barstable
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts