Heybridge is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.

Alternative names:

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1555
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1813

Nonconformists include: Baptist and Independent/Congregational.

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

HEYBRIDGE, a village and a parish in Maldon district, Essex. The village is suburban to Maldon, at M. r. station; was known to the Saxons as Tidwaltintune, and given by king Athelstan to St. Paul’s cathedral, in London; acquired its present name from the construction of a five arched bridge over the Blackwater, in the time of Henry VI.; derives trade from the Chelmer navigation and the Maldon railway; and has a post-office under Maldon, a fair on Whit-Tuesday, malt works, a large iron foundry, and extensive agricultural implement and machine manufactories. The parish comprises 2, 012 acres of land, and 124 of water. Real property, £5, 377. Pop. in 1851, 1, 330; in 1861, 1, 476. Houses, 315. The property is not much divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £159. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul’s, London. The church is ancient, but good. There are chapels for Independents and Baptists, and charities £33.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

Directories

Poll Books

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Maldon
  • Probate Court: Pre-1845 – Court of the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of St Paul’s Cathedral, Post-1844 – Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – None, Post-1844 – Hatfield Peverel
  • Poor Law Union: Maldon
  • Hundred: Thurstable
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts