Henham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.

Other places in the parish include: Pledgdon.

Alternative names:

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1539
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1800

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

HENHAM, a village and a parish in the district of Bishop-Stortford, and county of Essex. The village stands on a hill, 2 miles NE of Elsenham r. station, and 6 NE of Bishop-Stortford; and has a post-office under Bishop-Stortford. The parish includes also the hamlet of Pledgdon, and comprises 2, 958 acres. Real property, £4, 671. Pop., 875. Houses, 186. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Joseph Baxendale, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £390. Patron, the Rev. J. Taddy. The church consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and spire; and is large and good. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities £48.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

Directories

Poll Books

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Bishops Stortford
  • Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 – Sampford, Post-1846 – Newport
  • Poor Law Union: Bishop’s Stortford
  • Hundred: Clavering (Essex); Uttlesford
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts