Havering-atte-Bower is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Essex, created in 1836 from Hornchurch Ancient Parish.

Alternative names: Havering

Parish church: St. John the Evangelist

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1657
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1804

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

HAVERING-ATTE-BOWER, a village, a parish, and a liberty, in Romford district, Essex. The village stands near Hainault forest, 3½ miles N by E of Romford r. station; was formerly a borough; and has a post-office, of the name of Havering, under Romford, London E. The parish comprises 4, 290 acres. Real property, £3, 844. Pop., 429. Houses, 89. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Saxon kings; was a favourite retreat of Edward the Confessor; and had a royal palace, some remains of which still exist. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £75. Patron, W. P. Barnes, Esq. The church is supposed to have been the chapel of the royal palace; was restored in 1836; and contains a very ancient font, and a monument, by Wyatt, to Sir J. Burgess, Bait., and some new splendid tablets. There is an endowed school, with £10 a year. The liberty contains also the parishes of Romford and Hornchurch. Acres, 15, 972. Pop. in 1851, 8, 669; in 1861, 9, 260. Houses, 1,829.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

HAVERING-ATTE-BOWER (St. John the Evangelist), a parish, in the liberty of Havering-Atte-Bower, union of Romford, S. division of Essex, 3 miles (N.) from Romford; containing 427 inhabitants. This place was held in demesne by the Saxon kings, and was the favourite residence of Edward the Confessor, who built a palace here, which was visited by Henry VIII. and by Queen Elizabeth, and of which there are still some vestiges. The name is derived from a ring given to the Confessor by a pilgrim, according to a legendary tale, the particulars of which are recorded in basso-relievo on a screen which separates the chapel of Edward from the altar in Westminster Abbey. The parish comprises by computation 4290 acres; the scenery is beautiful, and the views embrace the Thames, with the shipping, and considerable portions of Kent and Surrey. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £75; patron, Charles Ellis Heaton, Esq. The church, supposed to have been the chapel attached to the ancient palace, was in 1836 thoroughly repaired, at an expense of nearly £500, voluntarily contributed by the inhabitants; a chancel was added, a gallery built, and a vestry formed: the font is very large, and of great antiquity.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Parish Records

Directories

Poll Books

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Romford
  • Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of Hornchurch
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – None, Post 1844 – Barking
  • Poor Law Union: Romford
  • Hundred: Havering atte Bower Liberty
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts