Halstead Holy Trinity, Essex 

Halstead Holy Trinity is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Essex, created in 1844 from Halstead Ancient Parish.

Alternative names: Halstead

Parish church: Holy Trinity

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1844
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: None

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

HALSTEAD, a town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Essex. The town stands on a gentle acclivity, adjacent to the river Colne, and to the Colne Valley railway, 14 miles NW by W of Colchester. It belonged, in the time of Edward the Confessor, to Earl Godwin; but, at the Conquest, was divided amongst several Norman chiefs. Its name is derived from two Saxon words, signifying ‘’a healthy place.” A market, long before the Norman accession, existed on Chippinghill; but afterwards was removed to the middle of the town; and it seems, from early times, to have been always such as to mark Halstead as a place of provincial importance.

The town is irregularly built, but comprises several streets, and has undergone recent improvement. A block of houses, with ornate shops in the basement storey, projecting windows in the second storey, and a projecting roof rising from columns and brackets over the third storey, erected in 1862, after designs by F. Hayward, is a very fine specimen of tasteful street architecture. The town hall, the market house, and the police station are suitable and good. The mechanics’ institute, on Market hill, is a handsome edifice, and has a considerable library.

The parish church is ancient; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with western tower and spire; had a chantry, founded, in 1340, by Lord Bonrchier; was lately restored and beautified, at a cost of about £5,500; and contains effigies of a knight and lady of the Bourchiers. The spire is modern; two previous spires were destroyed by lightning; and the second of these was erected in 1717, and is commemorated in some lines of the poet Prior.

A new cemetery, on the Colchester road, with a very neat entrance lodge, was opened in 1856.

Holy Trinity church, at the W end of the town, was built in 1844.

An Independent chapel was built in 1866, at a cost of £4,500. There are two chapels for Independents, two for Baptists, and one for Quakers.

A grammar school, founded in 1594, with £20 from endowment; three national schools and a British school; a charity of £281 a year for the poor; other charities worth £260

A workhouse, with capacity for 500 inmates.

The town has a head post office, a railway station, two banking offices, and two chief inns; is a seat of petty sessions, and of county courts; and publishes a weekly newspaper.

A weekly market is held on Tuesday; and fairs on 6 May, and 29 Oct.

Brewing and malting, an extensive manufacture of straw plait, and a large trade in silk, velvet, and crape are carried on.

Halstead Lodge, Stanstead Hall, Ashford Lodge, Star Stile, Sloe Farm, Attwoods, the Howe, and other seats are in the neighbourhood.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Bankrupts

Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.

Boulting John, Halstead, Essex, linen draper, Sept. 27, 1823.

Cardinal James, Halstead, Essex, carrier, Jan. 23, 1829.

Coates Samuel, Halstead, Essex, plumber and glazier, April 30, 1825.

Edwards Thomas, Halstead, Essex, victualler, July 7, 1826.

Hustler Orbell, Halstead, Essex, scrivener, Dec. 5, 1834.

Scale Richard Burgess, Halstead, Essex, farmer, April 22, 1842

Sperling James Moss, Halstead, Essex, scrivener, Sept. 21, 1841.

Parish Records

FamilySearch Catalog

The following records are available free online.

Census

Census returns for Halstead, 1841-1891

Church Records

Births and baptisms, 1829-1837 Author: Parsonage Lane Chapel (Halstead, Essex : Independent)

Births, baptisms and burials, 1828-1837 Author: New Chapel, High Street (Halstead, Essex : Independent)

Bishop’s transcripts for Greenstead-Green, 1846-1872 Author: Church of England. Chapelry of Greenstead-Green (Essex)

Bishop’s transcripts for Halstead, 1639-1640 Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Halstead (Essex)

Bishop’s transcripts for Halstead, 1800-1867 Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Halstead (Essex)

Church records, 1792-1837 Author: Old Meeting House (Parsonage Lane, Halstead, Essex : Independent)

Parish registers for Halstead, 1564-1978 Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Halstead (Essex); Essex Record Office

Parish registers for Halstead, 1844-1978 Author: Church of England. Holy Trinity Church (Halstead, Essex); Essex Record Office

Parish register printouts of Halstead, Essex, England (Independent, High Street Chapel) ; christenings, 1828-1837 Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

Parish register printouts of Halstead, Essex, England (Independent, Parsonage Lane Meeting House) ; christenings, 1829-1837 Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Halstead
  • Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Hedingham
  • Poor Law Union: Halstead
  • Hundred: Hinckford
  • Province: Canterbury