Greenstead (near Colchester) is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.

Alternative names: Grinstead

Parish church: St. Andrew

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1676
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1800

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

GREENSTEAD, a parish in Colchester district, Essex; on the river Colne, 1 mile S of Colchester. It contains the Hythe r. station, and has a post-office under Colchester. Real property, £3, 422. Pop., 789. Houses, 178. The property mostly belongs to two owners. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £293. Patron, the Crown. The church is very good; and the new church of St. John the Evangelist also is here.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

GREENSTEAD (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union and borough of Colchester, locally in the Colchester division of the hundred of Lexden, N. division of Essex, 1 mile (E.) from Colchester; containing 601 inhabitants. The navigable river Colne bounds the parish on the west. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £5, and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £200, and there are 29 acres of glebe.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Parish Records

Directories

Poll Books

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Colchester
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Colchester
  • Poor Law Union: Colchester
  • Hundred: Colchester Borough
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts