Great Tey is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.

Alternative names:

Parish church: St. Barnabas

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1559
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

TEY (Great), a parish in Lexden district, Essex; 2¼ miles NW of Marks-Tey Junction r. station, and 3½ NE of Coggeshall. It has a post-office under Kelvedon, and a fair on Trinity Monday. Acres, 2,503. Real property, £4,837. Pop., 818. Houses, 166. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to Algar, Earl of Mercia; and passed to Queen Maud, the Fitzwalters, the Audleys, and others. The living is twofold, a vicarage and a sinecure rectory, in the diocese of Rochester. Value of the vicarage, £215; of the rectory, with Pontes-bright, £790. Patron of both, the Rev. W. Walsh. The church is ancient but good. Charities, £20.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

TEY, GREAT (St. Barnabas), a parish, in the union of Lexden and Winstree, Colchester division of the hundred of Lexden, N. division of Essex, 7 miles (S. E.) from Halstead; containing 733 inhabitants. It comprises 2478a. 3r. 3p., of which 2222 acres are arable, 93 meadow and pasture, 123 wood, and about 40 garden-ground: there is a great variety of soil. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £7, and in the gift of the Sinecure Rector; the rectory is valued at £18, and is in the gift of the Rev. J. B. Storry. The rectorial tithes have been commuted for £547. 14., and the vicarial for £232; the vicarial glebe comprises 18 acres, and the rectorial 7. The church is a very ancient edifice, originally cruciform, with a central tower supported on four arches. In 1829, the tower was found to have pressed the pillars of the nave so much out of the perpendicular, that it became necessary to take down all the building to the west of it; since which, divine service has been performed in the chancel and transept, and a small erection has been raised on the site of the nave, forming the vestry-room and organ gallery.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Parish Records

Directories

Poll Books

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Lexden
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 – Lexden, Post-1846 – Halstead
  • Poor Law Union: Lexden and Winstree
  • Hundred: Lexden
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts