Great Stambridge is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.

Alternative names:

Parish church: St. Mary and All Saints

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1559
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1800

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

STAMBRIDGE (Great), a parish in Rochford district, Essex; 1½ mile E by N of Rochford, and 3¾ NNE of Southend r. station. Post town, Rochford, under Chelmsford. Acres, 1,670; of which 49 are in Wallisea Island. Real property, £4,018. Pop., 363. Houses, 73. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £750. Patron, the Charterhouse, London. The church is partly Norman, and all good.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

STAMBRIDGE, GREAT (St. Mary and All Saints), a parish, in the union and hundred of Rochford, S. division of Essex, 1¾ mile (E.) from Rochford; containing 431 inhabitants. It comprises 2545 acres, of which 1700 are arable, 388 pasture, and 12 woodland. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £20, and in the gift of the Charter-House, London: the tithes have been commuted for £700, and the glebe comprises 20 acres. The church is situated on an eminence, and consists of a nave, south aisle, and chancel, with a tower and shingled spire.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Parish Records

Directories

Poll Books

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Rochford
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – Rochford, Post-1844 – Canewdon
  • Poor Law Union: Rochford
  • Hundred: Rochford
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts