Great Maplestead is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.

Alternative names:

Parish church: St. Giles

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1678
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1639; 1800

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

MAPLESTEAD (GREAT), a village and a parish in Halstead district, Essex. The village stands on high ground, 1 mile NE of the Colne river and the Colne Valley railway, 2¾ miles NNW of Halstead; took its name from maple trees, which anciently flourished on or around its site; and has the repute of being a very healthy place. The parish slopes from the village to the river, and comprises 1,929 acres. Post town, Halstead. Real property, £3,373. Pop., 462. Houses, 106. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged, at Domes day, to the Gernons; passed to the Deanes; and, with Dynes Hall, belongs now to H. J. Sperling, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £210. Patron, the Rev. D. Fraser. The church was enlarged and improved in 1861. A house of mercy was built in 1868, and endowed with £250 a year; is a quadrangle, in the first pointed style; and includes an infirmary and a chapel. There is a national school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

MAPLESTEAD, GREAT (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of Halstead, hundred of Hinckford, N. division of Essex, 2¼ miles (N. by W.) from Halstead; containing 452 inhabitants. This place is supposed to have derived its name from the number of maple-trees that formerly grew here. The parish is intersected by the river Colne, and comprises 1902a. 3r. 3p., of which 1440 acres are arable, 320 pasture, and 115 woodland and plantations; the soil is rich. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £8. 3. 4.; patron, R. Myall, Esq.; impropriator, the Rev. J. Sperling. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £335, and the vicarial for £175; the impropriate glebe comprises 88 acres, and the vicarial one acre. The church is a small ancient edifice, with a square tower, and attached to the south side is a chapel belonging to the proprietor of Dynes Hall, and containing two costly monuments of the family of Deane.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Parish Records

Directories

Poll Books

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Halstead
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Middlesex (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Hedingham
  • Poor Law Union: Halstead
  • Hundred: Hinckford
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts