Great Ilford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Alternative names: Ilford
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1831
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1831
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Presbyterian, and Strict Baptist, Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ILFORD (GREAT), a small town, a chapelry, and a ward in Barking parish, Essex. The town stands on the river Roding, and on the Eastern Counties railway, near Epping forest, 3½ miles ENE of Stratford; is within the jurisdiction of the central criminal court and the Metropolitan police; and has a station of the name of Ilford on the railway, a post-office of the same name under London E, a police station, a reading room, a church, Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, a national school, and an endowed hospital with a chapel. The church is a modern edifice, of white brick, in the lancet style; and has pinnacles at the corners, a large cross over the E window, and a tower with light spire. The hospital was founded, for lepers, in the time of Henry II., by an abbess of Barking; was reconstituted by Queen Elizabeth, for six poor men, and for a town chaplain; is an edifice of the 15th century, much modified by alterations and repairs; forms three sides of a quadrangle, with the chapel on the S side; is under the Marquis of Salisbury, as master and patron; and has an income of £65. The river Roding was made navigable to the town about the year 1738. The chapelry was constituted in 1836; included then Barking-Side, Aldborough-Hatch, Chadwell-Street, and a portion of Hainault Forest; and was reconstituted, to the exclusion of Barking-Side, in 1841. Rated property, inc. of Barking-Side, £24,200. Pop., in 1861, exc. of Barking-Side, 3,688. Houses, 750. The property is much subdivided. Fossil remains, comprising very large bones of oxen, horns and bones of stags, a spiral horn, 13 feet long, and the head, teeth, and bones of an elephant different from the elephants of Asia or Africa, were discovered, in 1812, in a field near the river Roding; and other fossil remains, including teeth and tusks of the hippopotamus, were found in a neighbouring field. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London. Value, £430. Patron, All Souls College, Oxford. The vicarage of Aldborough Hatch is a separate benefice. The ward is more extensive than the chapelry. Pop. in 1851, 3,745; in 1861, 4,523. Houses, 903.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Clark William, Ilford, Essex, victualler, June 28, 1831.
Elverston Charles Ellerby, Ilford, Essex, linen draper, March 13, 1824.
White Robert, Ilford, Essex, draper, March 6, 1838.
The following records are available free online.
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Romford
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
- Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Barking
- Poor Law Union: Romford
- Hundred: Becontree
- Province: Canterbury