Great Henny is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.

Alternative names: Great Henney

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1678
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

HENNY (GREAT), a parish in the district of Sudbury and county of Essex; on the river Stour and the Sudbury railway, at the boundary with Suffolk, 2 miles S of Sudbury r. station. Post town, Sudbury. Acres, 1, 120 Real property, £2, 562. Pop., 363. Houses, 80. The property is subdivided. The parish got its present name before the time of Edward the Confessor. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £375. Patron, the Earl of Verulam. The church stands on an eminence, with a fine prospect; and has a tower and spire. There is a church school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

HENNEY, GREAT (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Sudbury, hundred of Hinckford, N. division of Essex, 2¾ miles (S. by W.) from Sudbury; containing 417 inhabitants. It forms part of a district of elevated land, including also Little Henney, and comprises an area about three miles in circumference; the soil in some parts is light, and intermixed with sand. The river Stour, running along the east side of the parish, and separating it from the county of Suffolk, is navigable to the sea. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books, with the living of Little Henney, at £13. 6. 8., and in the gift of the Earl of Verulam: the tithes have been commuted for £375, and the glebe comprises 60 acres. The church, a small ancient edifice, with a tower of wood, is pleasantly situated on an eminence.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Parish Records

Directories

Poll Books

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Sudbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Middlesex (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Hedingham
  • Poor Law Union: Sudbury
  • Hundred: Hinckford
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts