Great Baddow is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.

Other places in the parish include: Howe Green.

Alternative names:

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1538
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BADDOW (Great), a village, a parish, and a sub district, in the district of Chelmsford, Essex. The village stands near the river Chelmer, 2 miles ESE of Chelmsford r. station; has a post-office under Chelmsford; and is a pleasant place, with a considerable number of genteel residents. The parish comprises 3,821 acres. Real property, £11,061. Pop., 2,061. Houses, 473. The property is much sub divided. The manor belonged to Algar, Earl of Mercia; was given by William the Conqueror to the abbey of Caen in Normandy; passed, in the time of Henry I., to the Earl of Gloucester; and went through a series of pro prietors, to the family of Houblon. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £402. Patron, Mrs. Bullen. The church formerly had two chantries; and is very good. Parker’s school has an endowed in come of £169; and other charities have £86. Richard de Badew, the founder of Clare Hall, Cambridge, was a native. The subdistrict contains four parishes. Acres, 14,585. Pop., 6,857. Houses, 1,490.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

BADDOW, GREAT (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Chelmsford; S. division of Essex, 1 mile (S. E.) from Chelmsford; containing 2022 inhabitants. It comprises 3620a. 1r. 27p., of which 150 acres are common or waste: the village is very pleasantly situated, and inhabited by several highly respectable families. A large brewery was established about seventy years since. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £18. 6. 8., and in the patronage of Mrs. Bullen; impropriator, J. A. Houblon, Esq. The great tithes have been commuted for £636, and the vicarial for one of £495. 15.: the glebe belonging to the impropriator comprises about 22 acres, and the vicar’s glebe one acre. The church contains some ancient monuments, one of which, in the south aisle, is very beautiful, representing the figure of a child, in a mournful attitude supporting the bust of a female. A free school was founded in 1731, by Jasper Jefferey, of London, and endowed with property invested in the purchase of estates now producing an annual income of about £168.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Parish Records

Directories

Poll Books

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Chelmsford
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Chelmsford
  • Poor Law Union: Chelmsford
  • Hundred: Chelmsford
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts