Grays Thurrock is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Essex.
Alternative names: Grays
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1674
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.
- Little Thurrock
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GRAYS THURROCK, or GRAYs, a small town and a parish in Orsett district, Essex. The town stands on the Thames, and on the London and Southend railway, between Fiddler’s Reach and Northfleet Hope, 3 miles WNW of Tilbury Fort, and 10 SE of Romford; consists chiefly of one street, irregularly built, extending along a small creek; contains many new houses; was given, in 1194, by Richard I. to Henry de Grey; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a station on the railway, a post office, of the game of Grays, under Romford, London E, and a pier 400 feet long. A weekly market is held on Thursday; fairs are held on 23 May and 20 Oct.; and a large trade is carried on in the export of bricks to London. The parish comprises 1,374 acres of land, and 260 of water. Real property, £6,889. Pop. in 1851, 1,713; in 1861, 2,209. Houses, 400. The increase of pop. arose from the influence of the railway, and from the establishment of a chemical manufactory. The property is got much divided. Belmont Castle, about a mile from the town, the seat of R. Webb, Esq., is a modern Gothic edifice, and stands on an eminence, amid fine grounds. A whale, 58 feet long, came ashore at the parish in Oct. 1849. Brick making, and chalk-limeburning are largely carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £250. Patron, James Theobald, Esq. The church is cruciform and good; and has a tower, with a recent low spire. There are a national school, a free grammar school, and some charities.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Biddle James Holloway, Grays, Essex, wheelwright, Nov. 12, 1833.
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Orsett
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
- Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - Barstable, Post-1844 - Orsett
- Poor Law Union: Orsett
- Hundred: Chafford
- Province: Canterbury