Faulkbourne is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Alternative names: Faulkbourn
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1574
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629; 1630; 1800
- White Notley
- Great Braxted
- Little Braxted
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
FAULKBOURN, a parish in Witham district, Essex; on the river Brain, adjacent to the Braintree railway, 2½ miles NW of Witham. It has a post office under Witham. Acres, 1,151. Real property, £2,139. Pop., 143. Houses, 31. The manor belonged to Hamo Dapifer, and went to the Fortescues. Faulkbourn Hall, now the seat of the Rev. W. T. Bullock, was originally built in 1440, by Sir R. Montgomery; retains a Norman tower, with polygonal turrets, having pyramidal crocketted canopies and bartisans; forms, on the west of the entrance-tower, three sides of a quadrangle; contains a fine collection of pictures by Vandyke, Vandervelde, and Beechy: and is said to occupy the site of a Roman villa. A cedar here has a girth of 18½ feet. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £267. Patron, the Rev. W. T. Bullock. The church is Norman; has two brasses of the 16th century; and is good. Charities, £7.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The following records are available free online.
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Witham
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester
- Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Witham
- Poor Law Union: Witham
- Hundred: Witham
- Province: Canterbury