Fairstead is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex
Alternative names: Fairsted
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629; 1639; 1800
Nonconformists include: Society of Friends/Quaker
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
FAIRSTED, a parish in Witham district, Essex; 2¼ miles SW of White Notley r. station, and 4 WNW of Witham. Post town, White Notley, under Witham. Acres, 1,853. Real property, £2, 620. Pop., 351. Houses, 70. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £424. Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church is ancient.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
FAIRSTEAD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Witham, N. division of Essex, 4 miles (W. N. W.) from Witham; containing 306 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from the pleasantness of its situation and the beauty of the surrounding scenery, comprises about 1800 acres, whereof about 300 are woodland and pasture, and the remainder arable; a considerable portion is heavy and wet, and the substratum a whitish clayey marl. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £6. 13. 4., and in the gift of the Bishop of London: the tithes have been commuted for £479, and the glebe comprises 74 acres. The church is a small ancient edifice, with a tower of stone surmounted by a tall shingled spire, and contains several monuments, among which is one to Sir Antony Maxey and his lady, whose effigies in a kneeling posture are well sculptured.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
The following records are available free online.
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Witham
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester
- Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Witham
- Poor Law Union: Witham
- Hundred: Witham
- Province: Canterbury