Epping Essex Family History Guide

Epping is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Essex.

Other places in the parish include: Ryehill, Epping Upland with Ryehill, and Epping Upland.

Alternative names:

Parish church: St John The Baptist

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1539
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1639; 1803

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Society of Friends/Quaker.

Adjacent Parishes

  • Waltham Abbey
  • Theydon Bois
  • Little Parndon
  • Netteswell
  • Nazeing
  • North Weald
  • Great Parndon
  • Theydon Garnon
  • Latton

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

EPPING, a small town, a parish, a sub-district, a district, and a forest in Essex. The town stands in the forest, on a rising-ground, near the source of the river Roding, 5½ miles-NNE of Loughton; has now a station on the Ongar railway; is irregularly built; comprises one long wide street; is a seat of petty sessions, and a polling-place; and has a head post office, a chief inn, a town hall of 1865, a church, and three dissenting chapels. It is well supplied with water from land-springs; it attracts visitors and residents, in the summer months, on account of its pleasant and healthy situation; and it was famous, till recently, for sending much dairy produce to London. A weekly market is held on Friday; and fairs on Whit-Tuesday, the first Friday of July, and 13 Nov. The parish includes also the hamlet of Epping-Upland-with-Ryehill. Acres, 5,281. Real property, £11,640. Pop., 2,105. Houses, 465. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to Earl Harold; was given to Waltham abbey; and belongs now to the duchy of Lancaster. Copped Hall, a very fine residence, is the seat of the Hon. A. Ashley. Copped Park contains an ancient British camp. The living is a vicarage in the dio. of Rochester. Value, £729. Patron. H. J. Conyers, Esq. The p. curacy of St. John is a separate benefice. A fine suite of national schools, in the pointed style, was erected in 1861. Baker s charity has £168 a year; and other charities have £129. The sub-district contains also the parishes of Thoydon-Garnon, North-Weald-Bassett, Magdalen-Laver, and Nazeing. Acres, 16,940. Pop, 5,018. Houses, 1,074. The district comprehends also the sub-district of Chigwell, containing the parishes of Chigwell, Chingford, Loughton, and Thoydon-Bois; and the sub-district of Harlow, containing the parishes of Harlow, Roydon, Great Parndon, Little Parndon, Netteswell, Latton, Sheering, and Matching. Acres, 46,452. Poor-rates in 1862, £9,098. Pop. in 1851, 15,631; in 1861, 16,549. Houses, 3,383. Marriages in 1860, 84; births, 510, of which 25 were illegitimate; deaths, 316, of which 108 were at ages under 5 years, and 14 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 761; births, 4,611; deaths, 2,885. The places of worship in 1851 were 21 of the Church of England, with 5,386 sittings; 7 of Independents, with 1,263 s.; 3 of Baptists, with 1,385 s.; 1 of Quakers, with 300 s.; and 1 of Lady Huntingdon’s Connexion, with 170 s. The schools were 22 public day schools, with 1,614 scholars; 31 private day schools, with 731 s.; 16 Sunday schools, with 1,254 s.; and 2 evening schools for adults, with 47 s. The workhouse is in Thoydon-Garnon. The forest is a wild chase; extends from the vicinity of London southward to Walthamstow; formerly included a great part of Essex; is divided from Hainault forest by the river Roding; is under a lord warden and four verderers, elected by the freeholders; possesses great beauty, and is diversified with plantations, mansions, and villas; and formerly was a favourite resort of the citizens of London for archery, and the scene of an annual festival on Easter Monday, when a stag was turned don’t for a hunt by the civics sportsmen.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch Catalog

Census

Census returns for Epping, 1841-1891

Church Records

Births, baptisms and burials, 1768-1837 Author: Independent Church (Epping)

Bishop’s transcripts for Epping, 1639-1640 Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Epping (Essex)

Bishop’s transcripts for Epping, 1803-1872 Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Epping (Essex)

Bishop’s transcripts for St. John the Baptist, Essex, 1839-1877 Author: Church of England. Chapelry of St. John the Baptist (Epping, Essex)

Church records, 1770-1903 Author: Lindsey Street Chapel (Epping, Essex : Congregational)

Parish register transcripts, 1539-1812 Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Epping (Essex)

Parish registers for Epping, 1539-1896 Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Epping (Essex)

Computer printout of Epping, Epping Meeting House Dissenters, Essex, Eng

Computer printout of Epping, Essex, Eng

Parish register printouts of Epping, Essex, England (Congregational) ; christenings, 1768-1839 Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

Parish register printouts of Epping, Essex, England ; marriages, 1538-1812 Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

Parish register printouts of Epping, Essex, England, christenings, 1538-1812 Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

Maps

Roding Valley and Epping Forest 1886: One Inch Map 240 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of England & Wales).
Here is information about Sheet 240: One Inch Sheet 240 Roding Valley & Epping Forest 1886 – published 2000; intro by John Marriage. ISBN.978-1-84151-174-0 This map covers the area of west Essex from Epping eastward to Margaretting and northward to Hatfield Broad Oak; the River Roding runs through the map and numerous villages are shown either side of it. In the NW corner is a portion of Hertfordshire. On the reverse is a detailed map of Ingatestone, together with a directory. It is not possible to list the many hamlets, farmsteads and other topographical features shown on these maps. However, you may find it useful if we list the towns and principal villages or church parishes that are included on this map. A link is provided where we also publish a more detailed large scale map. Essex: Abbess Roding, Aythorpe Roding, Beauchamp Roding, Berners Roding, Blackmore, Bobbingworth, Chignal Smealy, Chignal St James, Chipping Ongar Epping, Fryerning, Fyfield, Good Easter, Great Canfield, Great Farndon, Greensted, Harlow, Hatfield Broad Oak, High Easter, High Laver, High Ongar, High Roding, Ingatestone, Latton, Leaden Roding, Little Hallingbury, Little Laver, Little Parndon, Magdalen Laver, Margaret Roding, Margaretting, Mashbury, Moreton, Nazeing, North Weald Bassett, Roxwell, Sheering, Shellow Bowells, Stanford Rivers, Stondon Massey, White Roding, Willingale Doe, Willingale Spain, Writtle. Hertfordshire: Eastwick, Hunsdon, Roydon, Sawbridgeworth, Widford.

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Essex
Civil Registration District: Epping
Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (London Division)
Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – Waltham, Post-1844 – Epping
Poor Law Union: Epping
Hundred: Waltham
Province: Canterbury

Further Reading

Epping: Images of England (Archive Photographs) by Sue Davies

Epping and Ongar: A Pictorial History by Stephen Pewsey

Epping in Old Picture Postcards by S. M. Jarvis

Memories of Epping (Tempus Oral History S) by Baster

Cottis of Epping – The Story of an Essex Ironfoundary: A Brief History of the Archimedean Ironworks of William Cottis & Sons with Notes on Their Retail Shops & Brickworks by Christopher Charles Johnson

Epping Forest Then and Now by Winston G. Ramsey

The Old Inns and Alehouses of Epping by Christopher Johnson

Copped Hall : a short history Author: Cassidy, Raymond; Tradgett, Ronald

Epping fairs, markets, alehouses

Epping highways

The retreats of Epping Forest Author: Ward, Bernard

Some of the literary associations of Epping Forrest and it’s neighborhood