Elsenham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1731
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1800
- Stanstead Mountfitchet
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ELSENHAM, a village and a parish in the district of Bishop-Stortford and county of Essex. The village stands adjacent to the London and Cambridge railway, 5 miles NE by N of Bishop-Stortford; and has a station on the railway. The parish comprises 1,829 acres; and its post town is Stanstead, under Bishop-Stortford. Real property, £2,685. Pop., 480. Houses, 102. The property is divided among a few. Elsenham Hall is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £92. Patrons, Trustees. The church is good; and there are charities £9.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Bishops Stortford
Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
Diocese: Pre-1846 – London, Post-1845 – Rochester
Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 – Sampford, Post-1846 – Newport
Poor Law Union: Bishop’s Stortford