Elmdon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1618
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629; 1800
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Primitive Methodist.
- Wendens Ambo
- Wendon Lofts
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ELMDON, a village and a parish in Saffron-Walden district, Essex. The village stands near the boundary with Cambridgeshire, 3 miles SW by W of Chesterford r. station, and 5¾ WNW of Saffron-Walden; and has a post office under Saffron-Walden. The parish comprises 2,480 acres. Real property, £3,654. Pop., 731. Houses, 161. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Wendon-Lofts, in the diocese of Rochester. The church has a brass of a man and wives. An endowed school has £17; and other charities £4.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Saffron Walden
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
- Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 - Newport, Post 1846 - Saffron Walden
- Poor Law Union: Saffron Walden
- Hundred: Uttlesford
- Province: Canterbury