East Tilbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1626
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629; 1801
- West Tilbury
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
TILBURY (East), a parish in Orsett district, Essex; on the Thames, 1 mile ESE of Low-Street r. station, and 5 E by S of Grays-Thurrock. Post town, West Tilbury, under Romford. Acres, 3,237; of which 1,125 are water. Real property, £3,563. Pop., 403. Houses, 79. The property is much subdivided. T. House is the seat of E. Williams, Esq. The residence of St. Chad, Bishop of the East Saxons, was here. An ancient ferry over the Thames also was here; and is believed to have been that by which the Emperor Claudius crossed the river in pursuit of the Britons. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £244. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is old but good; and had a lofty tower which, in the time of Charles II., was battered down by the Dutch fleet. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a parochial school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Orsett
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
- Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - Barstable, Post-1844 - Orsett
- Poor Law Union: Orsett
- Hundred: Barstable
- Province: Canterbury