East Mersea is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1720
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629; 1639; 1801
Nonconformists include: Baptist
- West Mersea
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MERSEA (EAST), a parish in Lexden district, Essex; 2½ miles WSW of Brightlingsea r. station, and 8 S by E of Colchester. It comprises the eastern part of Mersea island, and has a post office under Colchester. Acres, 3,857; of which 1,900 are water. Real property, £2,836. Pop., 305. Houses, 67. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £400. Patron, the Crown. The church stands on a declivity, near the E end of the island; has a commanding view of the sea; and consists of nave, N aisle, chancel, and N chapel, with an embattled tower. The tower serves as a landmark, and was formerly surmounted by a beacon. There are a national school, and charities £17.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Lexden
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester
- Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 - Lexden, Post-1846 - Mersea
- Poor Law Union: Lexden and Winstree
- Hundred: Winstree
- Province: Canterbury