Earls Colne is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Alternative names: Earls Colne, Great Colne
Parish church: St Andrew
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1800
Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist and Society of Friends/Quaker.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
COLNE (Earls, or Great), a village and a parish in Halstead district, Essex. The village stands on the river Colne, adjacent to the Colne Valley and Halstead railway, ¾ of a mile SW of Colne r. station, and 3¼ SE by E of Halstead; and it has a post office, of the name of Earls-Colne, under Halstead, and a fair on 25 March. The parish comprises 2,959 acres. Real property, £6,048. Pop., 1,540. Houses, 334. The property is subdivided. A Benedictine priory, a cell to Abingdon, was founded here, in the time of Henry I., by Aubrey de Vere; and given, at the dissolution, to the Earl of Oxford. A seat of the Earls of Oxford, called Hall Place, with a park of 700 acres, also was here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £494. Patron, H. H. Carwardine, Esq. The church was built in 1532; has a tower, partly of flint; and contains monuments of the De Veres, removed to it from the priory. There are chapels for Baptists and Quakers, a neat recent institute with reading room, a free grammar-school, two other public schools, and six alms-houses.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Martin John Arnold, Earl’s Colne, Essex, victualler, Dec. 16, 1831.
Pitstow John, Earl's Colne, Essex, miller, Feb. 5, 1822.
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Halstead
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester
- Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 - Lexden, Post-1846 - Halstead
- Poor Law Union: Halstead
- Hundred: Lexden
- Province: Canterbury