Dunton Waylett Essex Family History Guide

Dunton Waylett is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.

Alternative names: Dunton

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1538
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1639; 1800

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

DUNTON-WAYLETT (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Billericay, hundred of Barstable, S. division of Essex, 6 miles (S. E.) from Brentwood; containing 194 inhabitants. At the time of the Norman survey, the manor of Dunton Hall belonged to Odo, Bishop of Bayeaux, by whom it was bestowed on the abbey of Bec, in Normandy; and on the suppression of alien priories it was granted to King's College, Cambridge. The number of acres is estimated at 2000: the soil is a strong clay, well adapted for grain; the surface is diversified with hills. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 13. 4., and in the gift of King's College: the tithes have been commuted for £500, and the glebe comprises 27 acres. The church, which is pleasantly situated on rising ground, is a small plain edifice, with a wooden tower and spire.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Billericay
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - Barstable, Post-1844 - Billericay
  • Poor Law Union: Billericay
  • Hundred: Barstable
  • Province: Canterbury