Downham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Parish church: St. Margaret
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1639; 1800
- South Hanningfield
- Ramsden Bellhouse
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DOWNHAM, a parish in Billericay district, Essex; near the river Crouch, 4 miles E of Billericay, and 5 N of Pitsea r. station. Post town, Wickford, under Chelmsford. Acres, 2,223. Real property, £3,047. Pop., 247. Houses, 52. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £402. Patron, R. B. Berens, Esq. The church has a square embattled tower, and is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
DOWNHAM (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Billericay, hundred of Barstable, S. division of Essex, 4¼ miles (E. by N.) from Billericay; containing 254 inhabitants. It is bounded on the east by the hundred of Chelmsford, and on the west by the parish of Ramsdon-Bellhouse; and comprises 2234 acres, of which 71 are common or waste. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 2. 8½.; net income, £402; patron, R. B. Berens, Esq. The church is a small ancient edifice, with a handsome embattled tower, and contains some interesting monuments. There are the remains of a castle, occupying a quadrangular area near the church, and supposed to be Roman.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Billericay
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
- Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Barstable
- Poor Law Union: Billericay
- Hundred: Barstable
- Province: Canterbury