Dovercourt is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex. Harwich St Nicholas is a chapelry of Dovercourt.
Alternative names: Dover Court
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1706
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1639; 1800
- Harwich St Nicholas
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DOVER-COURT, a parish in Tendring district, Essex; at the mouth of the estuary of the river Stour, and on the Harwich branch of the Eastern Union railway, 2 miles WSW of Harwich. It has a station on the railway, and two post offices, of the names of Lower Dover-Court and Upper Dover-Court, under Harwich. Acres, 2,966; of which 1,220 are water. Real property, £6,270. Pop., 1,231. Houses, 232. The property is subdivided. Lower Dover-Court is a suburb to Harwich; and Upper Dover-Court includes fine terrace-lines of houses, a great number of villas and other fine residences, a first-class hotel, a spa and assembly-rooms, sea-walls and marine drives, all of recent construction, and is becoming a favourite watering resort. The land is noted for fine hard elm. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Harwich-St. Nicholas, in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £221. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is of brick; was built in 1821, at a cost of £20,000; and occupies the site of a previous church, which dated from the 13th century, had a guild and a famous crucifix, and contained a tomb to Secretary Clarke, killed in 1666 in action against De Ruyter. The crucifix was reputed to be miraculous, and attracted many pilgrims; and three men were executed in 1532 for carrying it off and burning it. See Harwich.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Vision of Britain historical maps
Civil Registration District: Tendring
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester
Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 - Tendring, Post-1846 - Harwich
Poor Law Union: Tendring
Hundred: Harwich Borough