Doddinghurst is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1560
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DODDINGHURST, a parish in Ongar district, Essex; 4¼ miles N by W of Brentwood r. station, and 4½ SE by S of Ongar. Post town, Kelvedon Common, under Brentwood. Acres, 1,892. Real property, £3,192. Pop., 394. Houses, 81. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £624. Patron, W. Manbey, Esq. The church is good; and there are charities £15.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
DODDINGHURST (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Ongar, hundred of Barstable, S. division of Essex, 5 miles (W.) from Ingatestone; containing 419 inhabitants. The lands consist of 1800 acres by computation, and are generally fertile; 120 acres are wood, and of the remainder one-third is grass and the rest arable: the greater portion of the soil is a deep rich loam. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 3. 9.; net income, £539; patron, W. Manbey, Esq. The church is a small ancient edifice.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Civil Registration District: Ongar
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - Barstable, Post-1844 - Ingatestone
Poor Law Union: Ongar