Dengie is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1550
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629
Nonconformists include: Irvingite/Catholic Apostolic Church
- St Lawrence Newland
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DENGIE, a parish and a hundred in Essex. The parish is in Maldon district; and lies on the coast, 5 miles NE of Burnham, and 11 ESE of Maldon r. station. Post town, Tillingham, under Maldon. Acres, 3,319; of which 1,013 are water. Real property, £3,675. Pop., 298. Houses, 56. The property is divided among a few. The land is marshy; but was famous, in Camden's time, as dairy pasture. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £754. Patrons, Trustees. The church is good. The hundred contains twenty-two parishes. Acres, 72,528. Pop., 11,224. Houses, 2,357.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Maldon
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
Rural Deanery: Dengie
Poor Law Union: Maldon