Dedham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1560
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1800
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
- Stratford St Mary
- East Bergholt
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DEDHAM, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Lexden district, Essex. The village stands on the river Stour, in a fine valley, at the boundary with Suffolk, 2¾ miles N of Ardleigh r. station, and 3½ W by N of Manningtree; consists chiefly of one street; and has a post office under Colchester, and a fair on Easter Tuesday. It was mentioned at Domesday; had a great clothing trade in the time of Richard II.; and was long a market-town. The parish comprises 2,551 acres. Real property, £8,349. Pop., 1,734. Houses, 402. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £170. Patron, the Duchy of Lancaster. The church is later English, with a fine tower; and was restored in 1862. A lectureship rectory, endowed by Burkitt, the commentator, is a separate benefice. Value, £430. Patron, the Governor of the grammar-school. There is an Independent chapel. The grammar school was founded in 1571, and rebuilt in 1868; and it has £254 from endowment for ordinary uses, and £55 for exhibitions at St. John's college, Cambridge. Another school has £18. Dunton's alms-houses have £91; and other charities have £108. The sub-district contains five parishes. Acres, 12,642. Pop., 4,553. Houses, 1,032.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Lexden
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester
Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 - Lexden, Post-1846 - Dedham
Poor Law Union: Lexden and Winstree