Debden is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Alternative names: Depden
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629; 1800
Nonconformists include: General Baptist
- Saffron Walden
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DEBDEN, or Depden, a village and a parish in Saffron-Walden district, Essex. The village stands 2¾ miles E of Newport r. station, and 3½ S by E of Saffron-Walden; and has a post office under Saffron-Walden, and a fair on 1 June. The parish comprises 4,404 acres. Real property, £6,049. Pop., 942. Houses, 203. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, in the time of the Conqueror, to Ralph Peverell; and belongs now to Sir F. Vincent, Bart. Debden Hall was built in 1795, after designs by Holland. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £837. Patron, Sir F. Vincent, Bart. The church is ancient; has monuments of the Chiswells; and is good. There are a national school and charities £104.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Vision of Britain historical maps
Civil Registration District: Saffron Walden
Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 - Sampford, Post-1846 - Saffron Walden
Poor Law Union: Saffron Walden