Dagenham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Other places in the parish include: Bacontree Heath and Chadwell Heath.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1598
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Plymouth Brethren, Presbyterian, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Lambourne with Abridge
- Great Ilford
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DAGENHAM, a parish in Romford district, Essex; on an affluent of the Thames, and on the London and Southend railway, 2 miles WNW of Rainham r. station, and 3½ S by W of Romford. It includes the hamlets of Chadwell-Heath and Beacontree-Heath; and has a post-office under Romford, London, E. Acres, 6,608: of which 180 are water. Real property, £16,607. Pop., 2,708. Houses, 550. The property is much subdivided. The area includes 1,359 acres of Hainault forest, and extends to the Thames. An irruption of the Thames occurred here in 1703, inundating upwards of 5,000 acres of rich land, and washing nearly 120 acres entirely away. An embankment, for preventing any similar occurrence was formed by Captain Perry, at a cost of £40,473; and a stratum of bogwood, about 10 feet thick, with very little mixture of earth, was found, at the making of the embankment, to be about 4 feet below the surface of the soil. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £872. Patron, the Rev. John Farmer. The church is ancient and good. There are two Wesleyan chapels, a Free Methodist chapel, a police station, a national school, an endowed school with £270 a year, and charities £193.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Vision of Britain historical maps
Civil Registration District: Romford
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex
Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post 1845 - Rochester
Rural Deanery: Barking
Poor Law Union: Romford