Copford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629; 1639; 1800
Nonconformists include: Society of Friends/Quaker and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Marks Tey
- Layer Breton
- Layer Marney
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
COPFORD, a parish in Lexden district, Essex; on the river Roman, 1½ mile E of Marks-Tey r. station, and 4 WSW of Colchester. It has a post office under Colchester. Acres, 2,397. Real property, £4,428. Pop., 775. Houses, 163. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged formerly to the Bishops of London. Copford Hall is the seat of the Harrisons. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £680. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church has a Norman apse, and is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Lexden
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)
- Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 - Lexden, Post-1846 - Coggeshall
- Poor Law Union: Lexden and Winstree
- Hundred: Lexden
- Province: Canterbury