Colne Engaine is an Ancient Parish in the county of Essex.
Other places in the parish include: Colne Park.
Alternative names: Little Colne
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1629
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629
- Greenstead Green
- Earls Colne
- White Colne
- Halstead St Andrew
- Wakes Colne
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
COLNE-ENGAINE, or Little Colne, a village and a parish in Halstead district, Essex. The village occupies a rising-ground on the left side of the river Colne, 1½ mile WNW of Colne r. station, and 2½ ESE of Halstead; and has a post office, of the name of Colne-Engaine, under Halstead. The parish comprises 2,444 acres. Real property, £4,680. Pop., 627. Houses, 142. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged anciently to the Engaines; and passed to the Sherreves, to Colchester priory, and to the De Veres. Colne Park is a principal residence; and near it is an Ionic column by Soane. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £680. Patron, Christ’s Hospital. The church is very good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Collis Benjamin Granger, Colne Engaine, Essex. miller, April 24, 1829.
- County: Essex
- Civil Registration District: Halstead
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester
- Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 - Lexden, Post-1846 - Halstead
- Poor Law Union: Halstead
- Hundred: Lexden
- Province: Canterbury