Coggeshall, Essex Family History Guide

Coggeshall is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Essex.

Alternative names: Coxall, Great Coggeshall, Little Coggeshall

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1558
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1639; 1800

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Particular Baptist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

  • Markshall
  • Kelvedon
  • Bradwell by Coggeshall
  • Pattiswick
  • Greenstead Green
  • Feering

Parish History

Great Coggeshall

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

COGGESHALL, a town and a sub-district in the district of Witham, Essex. The town is chiefly in Great Coggeshall parish, partly in Little Coggeshall; and stands on the Roman road from Colchester, and on the river Blackwater, 2 ½ miles N by W of Kelvedon r. station, and 6 E by S of Braintree. Its site is partly low ground, partly the acclivity of a pleasant hill. A Roman station, either Ad Ansam or Canonium, is supposed by some antiquaries to have been here; and remains of a Roman villa have been found. A Cistertian abbey was founded in the vicinity, within Little Coggeshall parish, and a three-arched bridge built over an adjacent artificial cut of the Blackwater, by King Stephen; and a small part of the abbey still exists. The town has a post office under Kelvedon, two banking offices, two chief inns, a parish church, five dissenting chapels, a free school, and six alms-houses. The church is perpendicular English, with a tower; and was repaired in 1847, and thoroughly renovated in 1854; and a plan for farther improvement on it, at the cost of about £2,000, was executed in 1864. A weekly market is held on Thursday; and a fair on Whit-Tuesday. There are two silk factories, and a patent isinglass and gelatine factory. Pop., 3,166. Houses, 714. The sub-district contains the two Coggeshall parishes and two others. Acres, 7, 634. Pop., 4,954. Houses, 1,083.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Little Coggeshall

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

COGGESHALL (Little), a parish in Witham district, Essex; containing a small part of the town of Coggeshall. Acres, 830. Real property, £3,597. Pop., 429. Houses, 85. The living is incorporated with Great Coggeshall. There were once two churches, the one monastic and long ago demolished, the other parochial and now partially restored.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Bankrupts

Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.

Brightwen Isaac; Robert Brightwen; and Isaac Brightwen, jun.; Coggeshall, Essex, brewers, May 27, 1828.

Pryke Peter, Great Coggeshall, Essex, tailor and draper, Oct. 19, 1830.

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Essex
  • Civil Registration District: Witham
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester
  • Diocese: Pre-1846 - London, Post-1845 - Rochester
  • Rural Deanery: For Little Coggeshall - Pre-1847 - Bocking, Post-1846 - Coggeshall
  • Poor Law Union: Witham
  • Hundred: Lexden
  • Province: Canterbury